Last week I interviewed director Cristina Comencini and when I asked her about casting her latest (adorable) comedy Latin Lover, she talked about how there were certain actors that she just always thought of immediately, hoping they are available. The late Virna Lisi was one of them, and Angela Finocchiaro, “Oh, and Margherita Buy, of course!”
Here are the Top Ten Things To Know About Italy’s Top Actress
1) She was named Best Actress 2015.
2) She’s worked for practically everybody, from Silvio Soldini, to Comencini, to Ferzan Ozpetek, to Nanni Moretti, to Giuseppe Tornatore…( I could do this all day. Everyone wants La Buy.)
3) She’s now won more David di Donatello statues (the Italian equivalent of the Oscars) than any other actress, this year surpassing Sophia Loren.
4) She admitted in an interview that she’s lost one of them.
5) She’s 53 and fabulous, looking youthful, beautiful, and getting as many movie roles as ever.
6) She used to be married to Sergio Rubino and she lives a very un-diva-like life in Rome.
7) She won the Best Actress award 2 years ago for her role in A Five Star Life (Viaggio Sola), and you can stream that one here in America.
8) When asked about how it was going with men these days she says, “Not good. But the problem there is me. I don’t have an easy-going nature.” And, “It’s all over anyway. Enough. I’ve never understood love.)
9) Will she ever do an English language movie? She says she’s too lazy to learn English. (That’s OK – most of us are too lazy to learn Italian.)
10) You can see her in lots of movies here in the US.
Days and Clouds (Giorni e Nuvole)
We Have a Pope (Habemus Papam)
His Secret Life (Le Fate Ignorante)
The Unknown Woman (La Sconosciuta)
A Five Star Life (Viaggio Sola)